Daily Blog: 2nd Half-Marathon & A Foodie Afternoon!

Monday 6 June 2016




Happy Sunday!






Early start this morning! Had to wake up at 6am, which should be illegal on a Sunday. But it's all for a great reason!





Start time was 8am, so the winter morning chill had set in. Not as cold or frosty as last year, which we were thankful for. The body heat from waiting in line was actually really nice! Once I hear "Right Here, Right Now" playing, I'll know we're about to take off. Love that song they play every year! I have it playing at the gym sometimes too. 





And we did it!
We were disappointed with our time this year because we were hoping to hit a personal best, but fell a bit flat instead. We still got out there and did it, so that's the important thing. I also felt our form was much better and we ran stronger too. It's a lesson well-learned about how we should be training in the months leading up to the event. There's two more 21km runs this year that we want to do, so we are going to train hard and smash them! 






It's a tradition for us to get Pita Pit after a running event, since there's almost always a food truck there. It's a nice and healthy way to reward ourselves! I love a good falafel pita.




We hung around for a while to cheer on some of the marathon runners coming through. It was actually really inspirational seeing people conquering their goals and lighting up as we cheered and they saw the finish line. Most of them weren't young either. I have so much respect for anyone doing a full marathon. It was really amazing to watch, and  I may have had a few tears in my eyes...




It became too cold to stand after a while, so we went and had a coffee to warm ourselves up. I don't feel too sore, which is great! I ate a mandarin before we started, which I think really helped in stopping  my muscles from hurting.

Home again to a hot shower, strap up my foot for my sore tendon, and get in some comfy clothes.
Before I start my meal prep today, I'm gonna make myself a snack of sweet and salty popcorn. I've been dying to try out this recipe for a while now, so I'm gonna experiment with it and see how it goes. 







Success! 
OMG this is amazing. I'm gonna do a full recipe post for you guys this week so you can make it too. It's seriously yummy popcorn. 







Right, meal prep time. I'm just doing a simple soba noodle stir-fry since it was so good the other week. I'm gonna marinate and grill the tofu first and chop my vegetables while that's cooking. 





Once the tofu is done, I'm setting it aside and switching to a bigger pan for the rest of my cooking. Getting the flavors going with some onion, peppers and chili! 





Then I added the broccoli and carrots to my pan. To cook them properly, I added a little bit of water and quickly put a lid on top to trap all of the steam in. Steaming it also reduces how much oil you use trying to cook it otherwise. Gotta keep meal prep as clean as possible! 




I got my soba noodles in a pot of boiling water and cooked them for about 3-5 minutes. They really don't need long, so you have to really keep an eye on them. 






Then add everything together with some soy sauce and do the all-important taste test. Then assemble into containers and add some frozen beans on the side, as well as the tofu on top. Done! 





Since it's already late afternoon I thought I would help Mum with dinner for tonight. We thought of having crumble as a treat for the half-marathon today, so I got started on chopping some pears, apple, fejoa, and kiwifruit while Mum did the crumble part (Oats, dates, macadamia nuts, coconut.) How great does it look! Crumble is my favorite, so I'm really looking forward to this.







We're making our own pizzas for dinner tonight! We made bases out of the same recipe I use for my flatbreads (buckwheat flour & plain yogurt) and baked in the oven with some oil first. So good!

One of my favorite things to put on mine is Quorn, which is meat substitute that has a really great texture. I also added mushroom, red onion, spinach, and a little too much barbecue sauce. It was definitely one of the best combinations I have ever tried.




Crumble time! We tried making our own whipped coconut cream to go with it. It was a little messy, not gonna lie, but adding some vanilla made it really yummy with the fruit. Something else I really need to master in the kitchen now.



If you're wondering where I got the energy to cook all afternoon after my run, I really don't know! But it's a good idea to keep your legs moving, otherwise your muscles will seize up if you sit down for ages. Still feeling pretty good!

Sorry if anyone is left feeling hungry now! I didn't mean for today's daily blog to be so filled with food, but that's what my Sunday's are always about! It starts my week on a happy note. 

What did you get up to over the weekend? 
Steph x. 

2 comments :

  1. And...now i'm craving apple crumble! :p I feel so happy reading these posts Steph! Awesome job on your run, you and your Mum did amazing! :) xx

    Lucy x |~ SweetIsAlwaysInStyle || Lifestyle Blog ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha sorry!! Thanks so much Lucy! It means a lot that you enjoy them, I will keep doing more then : ) Thanks heaps!
      Steph x.

      Delete