How I Started My Bullet Journal

Tuesday 19 April 2016



Hello Everyone!

I wanted to share my latest obsession with you, which is the world of bullet journals (cue the eye-rolls for me taking on yet another journal project...) I came across this positive post by Rosie fromdamzelinthisdress blog where she lists 6 Reasons Why You Need A Bullet Journal. It's safe to say that I was sold very quickly, and before I knew it I was in the depths of Pinterest looking at inspiration. You guys know I love anything to do with journals, stationary, or just being creative in day-to-day life, so this is right up my street!

The Journal 
After a little research, everybody tends to go for either a Leuchtturm1917 or a Moleskine journal. When I set out to find one of my own I couldn't find any of the the first, but my local bookstore did have a selection of Moleskine ones. Most of them were either blank or lined, but I managed to get the very last dotted A5 softcover. It was fate, I reckon! The dotted version was well-worth it too, because it makes symmetry a breeze. I did have to settle for a tan color, but I wasn't really fussy.


The Accessories 

I feel like this is where you can have a bit of fun. Firstly, I got two black fine-point pens, which are definitely worth the money! They're so easy to write with and make your handwriting look so much nicer. I also bought some washi tape to help make borders and to bring some color into my pages.

Another little accessory I've found to be a real life-savor, is a ruler. I actually use a mini one that I had back in high school. You could easily free-hand everything if you wanted to, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I need a ruler for all of my boxes/outlines.


The Pages  
I will admit that I got a bit overwhelmed with where to start at first. My solution: start anywhere! Get some ideas, then just create pages as you need them. I also started a Pinterest board to keep tonnes of ideas and inspiration all in one place.



Workouts - At a recent gym session, my trainer explained how my training was going to be different from now on. I basically start at my lowest rep and work up to my highest, which is when I need to meet with him for an update. This is where he suggested I write down my reps as I go through them each day and have a record of how I'm doing. It will be great to see how much I improve within a few weeks.



Daily Schedule -My mind can be a bit scattered sometimes, I think it has to do with my dyslexia, so I find it hard to concentrate on one task at a time. But I've found in the past that on days where I have my hours mapped out I'm so much more focused and I get more done. I know some people hate being so strict with their time, but for me it helps get through my whole to-do list. I've found it really helpful so far. 



2016 Reads - This is probably my favorite page so far. I'm determined to get through 50 books this year (or more if I can) and I'm already itching to fill in more on this one. I'm still not sure what to do with the opposite shelves. I could use it as my TBR, or just wait and fill in the rest for my 2017 reads. I love keeping note of what books I have gotten through in the year and this is such a satisfying way to keep a record. 

Habit Tracker  


There's nothing that makes you stick to healthy habits like having to note down what you do! I love the idea of seeing what I do (and don't do) throughout the month. This is the beauty of bullet journals; you can personalize it to whatever suits you and your lifestyle.

I think the most important thing to remember, is that it's YOUR journal. The pages don't have to be perfect and Instagram-worthy, just have fun being creative with whatever you decided to put in it. There's no right and wrong way to use a bullet journal. Have fun with your planning and be creative anywhere you want.

You just need a journal (any make, really), a pen, and a bit of inspiration. Then you're good to go! 


Have you tried using a bullet journal?
Steph x. 

27 comments :

  1. So so nice! I love all the little doodles and it all looks really presented and done well :)
    Kathy x
    www.alongcamekathy.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kathy! I didn't think it was the best, so it's very sweet of you to say that : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely post, I love your bullet journal so far! It looks brilliant and definitely insta-worthy, my favourite page by far is your 2016 reads one. This post is seriously making me want to start a bullet journal right now :)

    Julia x
    Beesytimes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia! I will be sure to share some of my new pages soon : ) That's definitely my favorite page too! They're a lot of fun, you should give it a go sometime : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  3. I've seen these journals everywhere, and I'm so inspired! I think it's a great way to keep organized, I've always meaning to make one as well as a planner! I think it's an awesome way to be creative! Love it! xo

    McKenzie | therosynook.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! They really are such a great way to organized things, while also having fun being creative. You should totally start one!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  4. It's great that bullet journaling is working good for you! :)
    I tried it once but I couldn't keep up with it. I think I'm probably just not the "pen&pager" type :)
    I especially love your reads page, it looks so cute and fancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's fair enough. I'm the same with digital journals and apps. We all have different in what works for us. I'm glad you liked it : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  5. I love how your bullet journal looks like! Especially loving the books page and that motivational quote you have 'don't stop till you have a wikipedia page in your name', haha. I don't have a bullet journal but now more and more I am thinking about starting one :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leta! Haha it's such a great quote. I like putting things like that in to motivate me. They're a lot of fun, you should give it a go sometime!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  6. AGH I LOVE BULLET JOURNAL POSTS SO MUCH!!! So much inspiration :)
    Yours is so pretty and I love your '2016 reads' spread. I have a TBR spread which is similar but I colour in each book once I've read it. I'm definitely incorporating the 2016 reads idea into my next bujo though as I've nearly finished my first one!
    I really want to get a dotted notebook for my next bujo, I've got a lined one at the minute and it just doesn't cut it!

    Great post :)

    Sarah
    http://www.sarahschapter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! I've seen quite a few lately and it's been amazing to see how everyone uses them : ) Thanks so much! That sounds like an awesome way to track your TBR, so colorful too! I would love to see some of your pages : ) Yes! The dots are brilliant to use, I'm so happy I found the last one!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  7. Wow. Honestly, I never know how to use that dots journal and I love how you use and decorate them with doodles! Love this post xo

    http://www.marsyajauzi.blogspot.my/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I didn't either, I thought they were just for design, but using it as a journal is so much fun!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  8. I love bullet journals ! Since I started mine , I got much more motivated to do stuff and my days became very productive. Loved how you set up yours! xx

    www.thelisasworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I love that it's helped you be more productive. And it's so much more fun than a normal journal, right? Thanks so much lovely!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  9. I've seen a few different ways to use the Bullet journal but it's the first time I've seen the book shelf idea, love it! =^-^=

    Sam | Momentarily Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! It's definitely my favorite page so far : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  10. Hey Steph! Really glad you enjoyed my post. Your journal looks amazing!! Can't wait to see how it develops.

    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rosie! Your post was so inspiring, so thanks again : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  11. It looks lovely! I really love the books page - I tried something similar but mine looked a mess haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's my favorite page so far : ) Aw I'm sure it looked awesome!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  12. I've seen so many bullet journals. I really want to do one now... but I don't have all the materials. Must have moar washi tape. Lol.

    I love your journal... it's too cute. I think my favourite was the book page too. How many books have you read so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You should definitely start one, it's really fun : )
      I've read 13 books so far this year, almost through my 14th!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  13. that is so cool!!! I don't have the patience to do it continuously so I just use Sprinkle of Glitter's Diary :) I can't even fill in the entries every day. Sheesh!

    Arianne | Ayre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Aw I wanted to try her diary, is it nice? Haha I hate having to fill in daily stuff, I'm terrible at it!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  14. OMG, your BuJo looks amazing! I need to do a post on mine, but honestly have no idea where to start as I'm 150 pages in! Love how creative yours looks :) Tania xx Tania Michele

    ReplyDelete