How to Spend More Time Reading

Wednesday 6 April 2016



Reading has always been a big part of my life, which is mostly thanks to my Mum for always encouraging me and buying new books to add to my shelf. I can't imagine life without having piles of books around me.

I hear a lot of people say that it's hard to find time to read in their busy schedules, and I can completely understand that. It makes me sad though, because it's something that makes me so happy. 
The thing I hated most about university life was doing readings for class instead of picking up a book I actually wanted to read. Now I have set times in my day where I can spend just 30 minutes reading to give myself a break from whatever I have been working on, and it has made such a difference to my productivity and mood. 
I am here to try and help you guys set some time each day just for curling up with a book and get through that TBR list you've been avoiding.

Here are my tips for spending more time reading:



Take a book everywhere with you 
You know that extra 20 minutes you may not have been expecting to have to wait? So you scroll through Twitter or Instagram to keep yourself occupied. Whether it's waiting for an appointment, the bus, or for a friend to show up, have a book ready to whip out and get a little but of reading done instead of staring at social media. If you have a Kindle, it would take up even less room in your bag too. Or download some e-books on to your phone so you can read anywhere!


Make time! 
This is true for so many things in life and it's all about priorities. If something really matters to you, you'll find time for it. Watch one less episode of that show you've been watching on Netflix and spend an hour reading instead. There have actually been a lot of nights after work where I didn't feel like watching TV, so I just spent a couple hours reading instead! Reading makes you happy and is great for stimulating your brain. Seek out times during your day/evening where you can squeeze in half an hour of reading time.

Swap social media for reading before bed  
This is actually key to my success of reading a book per week. One of my favorite bloggers ever, Kirstie from ayellowbrickblog, wrote a really inspiring post about doing the same thing and putting down your phone in favor of reading (make sure you go have a read!) And it's honestly one of the best/most healthy things I ever done.
I always make myself be in bed around 10pm and then I read for about 45 minutes. You can be surprised how far you can get through a book by doing this every night. It also helps me relax and switch off my brain before I sleep, which is something I struggle with if I spend my evening on Twitter. Even 30 minutes before bed is enough to send you off to sleep in a happy mood.

Buy books you're excited about reading 
There's nothing that stops me reading like a boring bookshelf. Then there are times where I have books just waiting to be picked up that I have been dying to read for some time. It always makes me prioritize time in my day to really dig into a new book. It's an exciting feeling! 
Get some inspiration of books you might want to read and let that be your motivation to pick up a book everyday. I'm constantly on the lookout for something new to dive into and it keeps my reading life fun. Go follow some great bookstagrammers and see what books they have loved, or shout yourself some new books on a shopping trip. One of my favorite booktubers is the lovely Sasha from abookutopia and she has some great recommendation videos if you want to check it out.


I hope that was helpful to some of you who struggle to find time to pick up a book. It really is about prioritizing a small part of your day and you'll be able to get through more books than you think! 

Make reading part of your everyday routine and let your brain escape the horrors of adulting for a little while : )

How do you find time to read? 
Steph x.

22 comments :

  1. Great post. Some good ideas, I also find it hard to make time for reading so I'm going to make more effort to make the time! :)
    Tea and Cakes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So glad I could help : ) Happy reading!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this post. I struggle to find time and sometimes the energy to read although I do love reading a lot but these tips are great! Thank you again x

    www.thelisasworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me so happy that I could help! You are very very welcome, really glad that you liked it : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  3. I'm an avid reader for the past few years or so, but I remember clearly that I absolutely loathed the thought of reading when I was in middle school. One day, I just started reading this teen book filled with colorful writing and gorgeous sketches and fell in love with reading. Improved my English a whole lot too!

    www.ashrealasitgets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's so awesome! I love it when one great book changes everything. I think it's all about finding a genre that you really enjoy. I used to have a bad reading level too, but then I started reading more of what I loved and it got so much better : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  4. I really want to swap that social media time before bed with reading, it makes time for me to finally read and I'll also get a better night's sleep!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/ (currently running a sunglasses and eyeglasses giveaway)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was the best habit I have learned to do at night-time. On nights where I opt out of reading, I struggle so hard to fall asleep because my brain won't stop working : ( I hope it helps!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  5. I was always a big Book worm when when I was little but I stopped when I got to secondary school! I have recently taken the hobby back up so this post came at perfect time! Thank you xx

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw awesome! That's so cool that you have taken up reading again! Glad I could help : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  6. This post is just for me. I am that person who doesn't find time for books but wants to do so desperately. The thing is that I have to read lots of school related books and books for my literature class and it takes up so much time. Also, revising for exams. And I use most of my free time to blog and to keep my blog alive, so in order to do that I usually am behind with all the tv shows I watch and I am not talking about reading an actual book that I am truly excited about.

    But I said to myself that I will pick a book I want to read and will do it once my speaking exam will be over. I shall get better at it, haha :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck for your exam! You'll do amazing for working so hard. You will definitely earn some leisurely reading time when it's all done :)
      Steph x.

      Delete
  7. I've been reading before bed so a book is the last thing I see instead of my phone! I think it's helping me to relax more and have a better night sleep!! =)

    Melanie | Blog: Toots + Dill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so amazing to hear!! It's helped me so much lately. Isn't it so much better falling asleep to a book instead? : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  8. I'm a huge book worm too & for me the best tip when it comes to finding time to read is definitely turning off my phone before bed and turning to a good book instead :) x

    Sara / AboutLittleThiings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree! It's so much more relaxing, right? Best way to finish your day.
      Steph x.

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful post! These tips are so true, and I felt the same way when I was in University reading books I truly had no interest in. Swapping social media time for reading time is such a great tip, it's crazy how much time we spend on social media without realizing it! Happy reading and have a wonderful weekend love!

    My Lovelier Days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I'm glad you liked it! Very true, I think it's so easy to pick up your phone in favor of a book but it's never as satisfying is it? Reading makes you so much happier : ) You too lovely! Happy reading x.

      Delete
  10. Swap social media for reading before bed - this is something I really need to work on. I used to always read before sleeping, but instagram and youtube have taken over. Need to start shutting down earlier! Great tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that struggle well! Sometimes I just wanna watch videos before bed, even though I know I won't sleep as well. Reading is always better : )
      Glad you liked it!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  11. You're so right about this Steph, I told myself I was going to make reading before bed a priority at the start of the year (and have a small pile of paperbacks on my bedside table to prove it) but I've gotten back into bad habits again. At least I'm still keeping my phone out of my bedroom when I'm sleeping though!

    Lis / last year's girl x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to be tempted by your phone, I know that well! You could try setting yourself a reading challenge so you're motivated to read at night time?
      That's a really good idea!
      Steph x.

      Delete