Meal Prep Ideas #1 Bean Chili & Quinoa

Thursday 7 April 2016



Yup, that's right! I've decided to take that next step in my fitness journey and set myself meals for the week ahead. It's something I've been contemplating for a while now, and I definitely think it's going to help me further achieve my goals.

There are a few reasons why I wanted to start meal prepping; one was simply to save myself time during the week. From about 8am to 3.30pm are what I call my business hours. I work on my blog all day then slip away in the afternoon to go work a short shift at the hospital to keep up my income. But I also have to fit in 1-2 hours for my fitness routine as well. I basically need to spend as much time working on my blog and social media as I can, while also fueling myself properly. This is where meal prep is absolutely perfect for a busy lifestyle, all I have to do is heat it up, grab my coffee and enjoy!

Another reason I decided to start meal prepping is my desire to keep my food as clean as possible. I've noticed lately how much processed food still slips into my everyday nutrition. I think I've just become more aware of it and it's time to work harder to eat cleaner foods. Those abs aren't going to show themselves if I don't get rid of all that processed food! My body just feels so much better when I do and I know I'm doing the best for it.

I want to express how easy this food is! It didn't take me long at all to put it together and all I needed was a few pots and pans. I actually love being productive on a Sunday afternoon, so I've found meal prepping kind of fun. These are all for my lunches during the week where I need to save time.

Here's what I made for my first week:

Quinoa
 The super-food grain that always gives me lots of energy! I've been trying to incorporate this into my everyday nutrition for a while now, and I had even taken to making a pot of this at the start of each week and having some when I felt like I needed it. I work out everyday so I need food that's gonna help me sustain my energy levels. I measured out 1/2 cup for each day and it turned out to be plenty.


Roasted Sweet Potato
 This is one of my current food-loves and it seems to be quite popular in the health and fitness world. 
I've been cooking up roasted sweet potato for a while now and still enjoy eating it with lunch or dinner. They're also great for post-workout recovery because of their anti-inflammatory benefits.
So good!


Homemade Bean Chili 
 Being vegetarian, it's really important for me to have that extra protein in my diet and beans are perfect for it. I've made this recipe time and time again, and I still love eating (especially with flat breads!)

To do: to make the sauce, chop 5-6 tomatoes, half a red onion, 3 cloves of garlic, and two chili peppers and spread out onto an oven tray. Bake at 150*C for 30-40mins or until the tomatoes have broken down. Place in a food processor and mix until it forms a sauce.

Pour in into a medium sized pot and put on a low-medium heat. Add 1 cup of water to thin out the mix. Stir in a teaspoon of tomato paste and a tablespoon of soy sauce for flavor.
Add 1 can of black beans and 1 can of mixed beans, stir to combine and let it simmer for 10 minutes. When the mixtures is lovely and thick it's ready to serve!

Buckwheat Flat-breads  (only 2 ingredients!)
For a while now I've been having a wholemeal pita bread at lunch time, and they aren't all that bad for you. The extra carbs always gave me the energy I needed for the rest of my day. But buying something in a packet means it's been processed and I don't quite know what's gone into making it.
My family has flatbreads with dinner quite a lot and they are one of my favorite things to eat. I can't remember where we got this recipe from, but it works every single time. It satisfies that craving for bread and goes so well with the home-made baked beans!
 
 To do: In a bowl, mix one cup of buckwheat flour to one cup of natural yogurt. If it's too sticky to handle, add more flour (and vice versa if it's too dry.) You can leave it in the fridge if you need to or just start rolling straight away. 
Divide the dough into two halves, then half again so you have four (or five if you want extra) pieces. Roll them out one at a time onto a floured surface and cook on a medium-high heat in a pan with some olive oil. Cook until crispy on both sides.
Optional: I added a teaspoon of turmeric to mine for added flavor and health benefits!



And now I'm set for the week! 
This is just for my lunches, but it's one less meal I have to worry about during the day.
As the week goes on you can add extra protein on as well. I usually cook up some tofu or make a couple of poached eggs for something different. It will stop that 3pm snacking habit!

 Meal prep is a big part of the health and fitness world, and I've been a little reluctant to enter it. But there are actually so many benefits to preparing your meals a week ahead. It ensures that you're eating the right foods everyday and it saves you time/money. I'm currently on to week 2 and am still loving the ease of having prepped meals.

I've started putting together a Pinterest board full of recipe ideas and snacks if you're ever stuck for ideas.

How do you guys feel about meal prep? Let me know if you have any tips for eating healthy during a busy week : )  
Steph x. 


15 comments :

  1. This meal looks amazing!!!! :) I'm definitely going to have to try it! I love meal prepping too, it makes you feel so much better knowing you have something nutritious and healthy waiting for you in the fridge. It stops me getting hangry and upset when i'm hungry and don't know what to eat! :p Keep up the awesome work Steph, you're kicking ass! xx

    Lucy x |~ SweetIsAlwaysInStyle || Lifestyle Blog ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lucy! Right?! It's like a weight off your shoulders for the whole week. I'm happy you enjoy it too! Haha you're the best! : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  2. Sounds great and so healthy! It'll also help me stop buying food at uni for way too much money haha :)

    Kathy x
    www.alongcamekathy.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I had such a terrible habit of doing that too! My uni had some really good cafes and it was always so tempting. Meal prep is so great to help you save money, especially if you make something yummy! : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  3. It looks so delicious! Meal prepping is a very good way to save time. Because let's be honest, we don't have time to make super healthy dishes every single day. I never tried Quinoa but it sounds so good :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leta! Very true. It's so easy to make something a little less healthy when you're in a hurry. Quinoa is great! It can be a bit tasteless, but paired with something yummy makes it so good. Way better than rice : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  4. This looks so good! I really want to get better at meal prep but I'm away all the time which makes it really hard!

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Oh no, I hope you find time sometime soon. I've really enjoyed meal prep so far : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is so gorgeous, I was browsing the foodbloggers hashtag and so glad I found yours! This sounds really filling and delicious I will have to give this a go xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much for saying that! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Let me know if you try it : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  7. These meals look so yummy! I actually really enjoy food prepping and usually spend a few hours on a Sunday making lots of yummy food for the week ahead, it definitely makes a huge difference and I always know I've got healthy food to eat :)
    Nicole xxx
    Ginger Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! That's so awesome, it really does make a difference. I'm glad you enjoy it too!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  8. This sounds like my perfect meal! Do you heat it up when eating, or just eat it cold? And does this all last a week in the fridge then? That's always something I worry about with food prep haha.

    Katie // Life of Kitty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heated these up in the microwave for a few minutes and they were good to go : ) Haha I worry about that too! But these were still great by Friday.
      Steph x,

      Delete