Badass Book Heroines I Adore

Sunday 24 April 2016



There is nothing I love more than finding strong female characters that refuse to let anything stop them. I love women who have that edge to them and they don't take crap from anyone. I've found YA books are following more and more strong female leads and it's amazing to read. I don't know if I could ever be as brave as these women, but they certainly inspire me to be.

Here are some of my favorites!

Kady, Illuminae
Last month I was raving about this book and Kady is a big part of why I enjoyed reading it so much. After having her colony attacked and now stuck on a traveling ship in space, where she feels like no one is telling people the truth, Kady becomes her own kind of superhero. With her smarts and incredible hacking skills, she tries to figure out the truth no matter the risk. Defying authority seems to be really fun for her (something I can definitely relate to) and when she wants to do something, no one in the universe can stop her. Seriously, she faces some pretty terrifying situations when she could have chosen not to.Total badass.

Katniss Everdeen, The Hunger Games
I've always had mixed feelings about Katniss. She was one of these characters that annoyed me at times, but I always admired her. Re-watching the series now has made me appreciate her a whole lot more and she's probably the heroine I am most similar to. Everything she went through was completely terrifying, but she was smart about it and did it all for her sister. I think the thing I love most about Katniss is that it taught me that a heroine doesn't have to be charismatic or give in to how people expect her to behave. You can lead a rebel movement without having to sacrifice who you are. She may be stubborn, but that's what I love most about that girl. 

Emma, Lady Midnight  
She is probably my single favorite character out of every Shadow hunter series by Cassandra Clare. Actually one of my favorite characters ever. She's as stubborn and smart as Clary, but she's also fearless like Jace. Her witty comebacks had me giggling through the whole book. I also loved how she trains so hard in order to be good at what she does. She never claims to have natural skills, just works harder than anyone to be the best. It makes her quite relatable and inspiring at the same time. 

Tessa, Infernal Devices Series 
If you have read these books, then you'll know it takes a special type of girl to handle Will Herondale. I've always had a soft spot for Tessa and I think it was always her stubbornness and refusal to give up that I adored. I also loved the relationships she builds up and the kindness she shows a lot of the characters in the institute. She's is as kind as she is fearless when it comes to facing danger, and that is something to admire. 

Celaena, Throne of Glass Series
It takes a certain type of woman to be thrown in a battle-to-the-death competition with a big group of men, and still hold her ground. Celaena is one of my all-time favorite book characters because she proves that you can be powerful and strong, while also being beautiful and feminine. That is a very dangerous combination, and one that I aim to achieve myself. She also never apologizes for being who she is, not even in front of the Prince, which just shows how strong her character is. She went through hell and still found a way to fight her way out of it #BOSSQUEEN 

Hermione Granger, Harry Potter
I couldn't leave out the ultimate book heroine, could I? Hermione was definitely the first book character to inspire me. Thankfully, she stayed with me through my treacherous teen years as well and made me work harder at school. Hermione proves that you can start with no knowledge at all, but with a bit of hard work you can be the best in your year. She also proves that you can be the class nerd, while also being a total badass that should not be messed with. Knowledge is a powerful thing and it should never be underestimated. The story of Harry Potter would have gone very badly without Hermione's help to save the day!

If I had a fictional girl squad, these girls would be it for sure. These are also some of my favorite books I've ever read, and I know that it's because of their awesome heroines that save the day.

Who are some of your favorite badass book heroines? 
Steph x.

4 comments :

  1. Really enjoyed reading this post and I've got a few book recommendation from it too. Illuminae sounds like a series I can really get into. =^-^=

    Sam | Momentarily Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you liked it : ) Illuminae is incredible, I've never read a book like it before. Definitely give it a go and let me know what you think!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  2. This is such a great idea for a post :) celebrating book heroines is the best! This also reminded me that I really need to read Illuminae!

    Sarah
    http://www.sarahschapter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! There are so many great heroines in YA lately. Yes! Illuminae is probably the best book I have ever read : )
    Steph x.

    ReplyDelete