Health and Fitness Update - April

Wednesday 13 April 2016


Hello everyone! I got such a positive response from my last Health and Fitness Update that I thought I would do another one for you this month. I feel like things are still progressing well and getting a little more serious. Easter was a very trying time with so many treats in the house, but thankfully I got given a sugar-free dark chocolate and orange egg that was amazing! But I still hit the gym hard the next day and got in an extra run. April has been my month of stepping things up and channeling my inner-superhero to get better results.

Meal Prep
If you follow my blog, you might have seen that I have started a Meal Prep Ideas series where I have been sharing what recipes I've been using. I've finally jumped on the band-wagon and started prepping clean meals for the week and have been loving it. I feel so much better about what I'm eating and it's letting me have some fun in the kitchen. I'm a big foodie, so any chance to experiment with new recipes is time well-spent for me. 

My love-hate relationship with leg day 
I recently got an update on my leg program from my trainer and my main focus is with my squats. I've really bumped up the weights on the bar I use, so it's become a really tough challenge. Part of me really loves it and I'm always determined to get back try again. But man is it hard! And failing is not in my fitness vocabulary, so there is only one way through it: hard work. Bring on leg day!

Wearing shorts to the gym
As much as I love my legs because they let me run far, they're still the part of my body I am most self-conscious about. I do run in shorts most days since it's means I won't over-heat, but wearing them to the gym has been a test of my confidence lately. Maybe after another month of good leg days I will feel better about it. Something to work on, I think.

Pre-workout drink 
Now this makes me feel like I'm properly transitioning into a gym-junkie! So lately I have found myself getting annoyed at being fatigued so early in my workouts. I do eat really well, but I just felt like I needed that extra energy boost to really make my time at the gym the best I can. Since I had no clue what to go for, I opted for one designed especially for women called Ignite and it was on sale too! I can honestly tell you that it works wonders for your energy levels. I was bouncing up and down, ready for my work outs. Sometimes I just wish it never wore off!

Knowing my limits 
So after last month's mid-workout panic attack, I've learned the hard way how important it is to know when to take a breather. I find if I'm doing a HIIT workout, or anything with high intensity, I struggle with my breathing and it triggers panic mode in my anxious brain. I've successfully stopped myself from pushing too far a couple of times this month, and it feels like I've conquered a really important fitness lesson. Yes, it's great to push yourself and give it everything you have, but sometimes you have to rest for a bit, then get back to working hard.

Weight/Overall improvements 


So I'm still staying around the 60kg mark, which I'm really happy with. I'm still building muscle, so I know that it's not going to drop dramatically anytime soon. I've been working really hard on my arms this past month and I'm really happy with how they are looking now, as well as getting stronger. I have also noticed that my posture has improved a lot, which was something my trainer hounds me for! I still have a long way to go, but I'm really happy with my progress so far.

I'm still boxing once a week too, which is always my toughest day at the gym. I think my trainer enjoys being really mean to me, but I love the feeling at the end of it where I know I've made it through a tough session. I also recently watched Creed which has really inspired me to be tougher and to go that extra mile with my training. I'm also wanting to get better at my boxing technique, not that I need to punch anyone anytime soon, but it's a skill I want to learn to perfect. It is in my family after-all!



I found this quote on Pinterest the other day and I absolutely love it. Focusing on being healthy is the most important part of any fitness journey, not stressing about dropping dress sizes. That definitely comes in time. You'll be surprised by how quickly results can come by eating cleaner foods and adding more exercise in your week. 

Let me know how your health and fitness is going in the comments! 
Have you tried anything new lately? 

Steph x. 



13 comments :

  1. Love this Steph! You're doing awesome! :) I loved Creed, I always do the same after watching the Rocky movies, I adore Sylvester Stallone and immediately want to box and do my own training montage! :p I'm the same when it comes to shorts too, my legs are my main focus right now, they are tough to tone but sticking with it! We can do it!!! :) <3

    Lucy x |~ SweetIsAlwaysInStyle || Lifestyle Blog ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lucy! I'm so glad you liked Creed too, I had a feeling you would : ) OMG yes! My Mum & Me are planning on running up those steps next time we are there. I hear you girl! Legs are stubborn but it will all be worth it. We're gonna smash it! : D
      Steph x.

      Delete
  2. I love your meal preps so far! Keep doing them - and it's also amazing that you've really taken your health and fitness into your own hands :)
    Kathy x
    www.alongcamekathy.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much for saying that! I'm gonna publish no. 2 Meal Prep soon : ) I'm really happy that you like them. Thank you Kathy! I don't know why I enjoy it all so much, but I love it!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  3. YOU GOT THIS, GURRRRL!!!
    Your progress is remarkable. I've fallen off the bandwagon of exercising after I came home to live with my grands, away from the city, on the college break. But I can't wait to go back for uni and get my gears back in action for some stretching and squats 🙌🏻

    Noor | Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell Yeah!!
      Thank so much lovely : ) You're gonna rock it when you get back! Nothing like some squats to make you feel better. Get a good playlist going and you'll be great!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  4. April is my month this year that I'm using to kick-start my fitness. I've gained so much weight in the past year for a whole host of reasons and I'm really looking forward to starting to shift it. I so want to get back to meal prepping - it makes such a big difference in avoiding reaching for convenient unhealthy food!

    Steph - www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! You're gonna look and feel amazing in no time : )
      Yes! I've completely fallen in love with meal prepping. It really does help keep you on track. I will keep an eye on your blog for updates : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  5. So good to hear that you are doing great! Happy to hear that you are getting more confident with your body and want to improve yourself in fitness. I haven't seen the movie Creed but I should probably watch it to get motivated to finally start working out, haha :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Leta! I'm still a work in progress, but getting there. It's a great movie! Really inspirational : ) You can do anything lovely!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, I can totally relate with what you've said that "Focusing on being healthy is the most important part of any fitness journey, not stressing about dropping dress sizes. That definitely comes in time. You'll be surprised by how quickly results can come by eating cleaner foods and adding more exercise in your week." I just started exercising and I owe it to my mom who's my personal trainer and I have already changes on my body figure and because of that, I feel healthy. I also stopped eating junk foods such as fast foods. I also followed a Twitter account for fitspiration and this kind of blogs inspire me to just continue what I've started. Thank you so much! Keep it up. :)

    Augustin Ra | Indie Spirit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing, it would be so cool to have your mom as your personal trainer. It makes me happy that you're enjoying a healthier life : ) I've found that the less I eat junk foods, the less I crave them and I don't want to fuel my body with rubbish. Well done!! You're doing amazing girl! Keep up the great work.
      You're so welcome lovely!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  7. Girl your body is insane! Your progress is so amazing! I love reading all your fitness posts and updates, literally makes my day! I love leg day too, but not the days after it!!

    Love Sian
    The Tattooed Princess

    ReplyDelete