Why you should read the Throne of Glass series!

Sunday 29 May 2016





I swear I could talk about books all day long. Every time I finish a novel that I've absolutely loved, I always take to Twitter to rave about it and see if anyone else feels the same (sorry for the Illuminae spam, but everyone needs that book in their life!) I know that Throne of Glass is a pretty well-known book series, but I thought I would share what makes me love it so much, and why you really should read it if you haven't already.


Celaena is the heroine you have been looking for

Just one of the many things I love about this character, she does not take crap from anyone. And I mean ANYONE. She is bad-ass in every way possible and can sass the pants off of anybody. For her to go into a competition against big bulky men and still keep her composure is something to behold. She's kind of an anti-hero for a while, but when you understand what she's been through, it's clear to see why she hesitates for so long. Celaena is amazing and just makes these books what they are.


Mystery plot to keep you guessing 

The thing about these books, is that they never go in the direction that you think they will. They keep you guessing and there's so many awesome plot developments that come along. Even Celaena's heritage is such a mystery, and her past as an assassin even more so. I found myself getting addicted and just needing to know more about these characters and what happens to them.  

 Fast-Paced 

You know those books that take ages to build up a decent plot? This series is not like that at all. So much happens throughout each of the books and the plot develops at such a brilliant rate. You're not left guessing for long and even when the plot detours for a bit, it's still pretty exciting and juicy.

So many cute boys 

Oh my, the men in these books are just something else. Both Chaol and Dorian change throughout the first book and things get even better in the second. The third introduces Rowan, a demi-fae, to Celaena and a personal favorite of mine. Each of these wonderful men are different from one another and play interesting roles in the story. They will break your heart, but it will be totally worth it.

Magic 

Need I say more? The land that the books take place in has been drained of magic, so the mention of it and how it develops is really interesting. It's an underlying theme in the story, but how it's used (especially in Heir of Fire) is brilliant. It leaves you wanting more scenes where the characters are showing off. You will love the concept behind how the magic works and will be itching for more. 

Keeps getting better 

I've found that I love this series the more I get into each book. I thought the first was great, then I got hooked on Crown of Midnight, and now Heir of Fire has blown me away. With each book there's new characters, new plot direction, and we learn more about Celaena and her past. I usually hesitate on continuing a series, but you won't regret it with this one! 

Perfect amount of fantasy 

I know this book gives off a high-fantasy vibe, which I'm personally not always that into. But the brilliant thing about how this story is written, is that it leaves a lot of the world to your own imagination. The scenes that take place are more focused on character interactions, rather than showing off the world that it's set in. It is made up of huge lands, but some are just mentioned in conversation and given focus later. I don't know how she did it, but Sarah J. Maas has balanced the fantasy element perfectly for me.




Have you read this series yet? Let me know what you thought of it! 
Who's your favorite character? Or let me know of a series you would recommend I read next.

Steph x.

10 comments :

  1. I've never heard of this series before but you've convinced me to give it a go! Sounds awesome!

    Renee | Lose The Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you will love it! I know so many people that do already : ) Let me know what you think!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  2. This series has been on my list for quite some time now! I guess I reall need to get started :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! It's one of the best books series I have read. I love it so much : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  3. *HIGH FIVES ANOTHER ToG FAN* WHOOOOP! WELCOME TO THE THRONE OF GLASS CLUB!
    Personally, I love Celeana, Manon and Sam. And by Celeana I mean pre-Heir of Fire Celeana. The one who is the assassin first and foremost, and is bitchy and proud and arrogant and flawed and oh so loveable. After Heir of Fire, she's a little too perfect for me, but then there's Manon for me to adore instead! And Sam... I know he's not a major character, but he's just so adorable in The Assassin's Blade (have you read it yet??) and he captured my heart and now I'm shipping Sam and Celeana ALLLLLL the way. Which is not a great ship, given that one of the characters isn't alive.
    I've actually written a few ToG posts on my blog this month (and a Celeana inspired chocolate cake is scheduled for tomorrow!), so feel free to have a peak at those!
    Yay for Throne of Glass!!!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAS! *HIGH FIVE* Thanks so much. I loved Manon in Heir of Fire, she was just as awesome and badass as Celeana. I haven't read Assassin's blade yet, but I definitely will now! Sam sounds amazing, which isn't surprising because the men in this series are beyond gorgeous. I'm so going to check out your blog! Thanks for such a lovely comment : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  4. I've had this series in my TBR pile for a few weeks now and just haven't had the time to get around to it. Looks like I know what I'll be doing today! Great post :D

    Olivia
    www.brewingupbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I hope you do! Let me know what you think : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  5. I really love the Throne of Glass series! I actually didn't like the first book in the series at all, I hated Celaena in it and I thought it was shallow and kind of boring, as well as a tad obvious (I guessed Celaena's heritage as soon as I started reading ToG).

    But then as each book came out this series just got better and better. And now I absolutely LOVE it and it's become one of my all time favourite series'! I think Mannon's POV is actually my favourite part to read.

    This series is so much fun and so engrossing! I can stay up to all hours reading it :D

    Jordon @ Simply Adrift

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's totally one of those series that gets better as the story builds up. I took me a while to like Celaena too. OMG I loved Manon too!! She was so awesome, I love her chapters more than I thought I would.
      Same here, so glad you love it as much as me!
      Steph x.

      Delete