YA Books I Couldn't Stop Reading

Monday 11 January 2016


Is there anything better than getting addicted to reading a book? It's one of my favorite feelings in the whole world. I'm a massive lover of YA fiction, and even at the age of 24 I can still relate to them in a lot of ways. I thought I would put together a list of the books that have stayed with me over the years that I just couldn't stop reading!

Fangirl
Rainbow Rowell
I feel like I barely need to explain this one, seeing as most people have probably read it by now and loved it. This book is relatable for so many reasons, I especially found Cath's anxiety was explained so well and I just felt at ease reading it. The characters in this are so vibrant and you learn to love each of them (well, maybe Nick being an exception.) It's the type of book that you can read again and feel like you're hanging out with old friends.

Divergent 
Veronica Roth
I still remember reading this when I was supposed to be studying for my university exams (priorities, huh?) I was so desperate to take breaks so that I could read more of it. I know that there are a lot of dystopian worlds, but this one seemed more detailed and exciting to me. It's such a thrilling read, and don't even get me started on Four <3

The Raven Boys 
Maggie Stiefvater
This one took me a while to get into, but once I did I couldn't stop reading! It's about a group of boys who are on the hunt for spiritual energy lines (called ley lines) that leads to an ancient king who will grant you a favor. The wonderful Blue finds herself becoming tied to these boys and and equal amount of trouble and adventure ensues. Each character gets their time to shine in this series and you find yourself drawn into their group too. This is one of the only series that has gotten better with each book!

Alienated 
Melissa Landers
I'm getting more and more into sci-fi YA and this one was really great. To sum up the story, it's about an alien student exchange program where each of our sides are trying to learn and benefit from the other. Cara is stuck with and alien of her own, Aelyx, who has to adjust to human life. The thing that I loved most about this one is how it develops the whole way through. As their feelings for each other, and the ever-present dangers grow, I became more and more addicted to this story. It's one of those reads that makes you wonder what you would do in this situation, and wonder how society would react.


Daughter of Smoke and Bone 
Laini Taylor
Oh man, if you love Prague, going between a fantasy world and the real one, following a bad-ass heroine, and a romance that leaves you breathless, this is for you! Karou is torn between two worlds and begins to discover her past with the help of Akiva, the book's angelic love-interest that you will no doubt fall for. It's equally gripping with it's setting and characters. If you're sick of the same old YA books, this one might be a great change for you.


The Splendor Falls 
Rosemary Clement-Moore 
This one is a lot less well-known, but it has been on of my favorite books for years now. It has everything you could need in a good read: romance, magic, mystery, and a whole lot of sass. After Sylvie breaks her leg, which ends her ballet career, she reluctantly moves to Alabama where she becomes involved in a mystery that haunts her new home and the weird behavior of the town's youth. Cue Rhys, the dashing Welsh boy who helps her save the day. This is one of those "don't judge a book by it's cover" reads that blew away my expectations.

The Fault in Our Stars 
John Green
I honestly put off reading this one for a while, because I knew that I would spend the whole time crying. And I did. But it was all worth it for being amazing as well as heart-breaking. It was one of those books that had me gripped because I needed to know what was going to happen. Of course, I had to explain to my family why I was balling my eyes out at 3pm...


Delirium 
Lauren Oliver 
I read this one a few years ago now and it's still one my favorites. It's set in a world where love is treated like a disease and when you turn 18 you get "cured." The main character Lena always believed what they told her, until she meets Alex. It's a dystopian novel following first love, rebellion, and deciding what matters most in life. The rest of this series was fantastic as well, highly recommended!

The Body Finder
Kimberly Denting
One of my favorite YouTubers and fellow bookworm, Carrie Hope Fletcher, highly recommended this book and as usual she was right about how great it was. It follows Violet who has the gift to sense dead bodies, which gets her into trouble when a series of murders hits her town. It has all the thrill of a Teen Wolf episode and an adorable romance that will make your heart flutter. I need to read this one again ASAP!

Clockwork Angel  
Cassandra Clare 
I picked this one up on a whim, not realizing the fictional world that I was throwing myself into. It's the first in the prequel series of the popular Mortal Instruments books. I actually much prefer this series and it has always gripped me more than the originals. It's the same brilliant Shadowhunter world with demons and bad-ass characters, only it's set in Victorian England with it's amazing costumes and cobblestone streets. If you loved Jace and Clary's romance in the Mortal Instruments, just wait until you meet Will and Tessa.

What books have you been addicted to reading?
I'd love some recommendations!
Steph x. 

8 comments :

  1. I loved the Divergent trilogy, The Fault in our Stars (who didn't?) and the Delirium trilogy! I set myself a reading challenge this year, so much to read - so little time!

    Sally ~ DiagonSally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all amazing, right? I hate it when book sequels are bad, but the Delirium series just got better!
      Nice! I love a good reading challenge, good luck : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished the divergent series and this has made me want to start the delirium series and clockwork angel. Thanks! I love your blog and you love Marvel!!!! so I have just nominated you for the sunshine blogger award! I will definitely be keeping an eye out for new posts!!

    whatfaithdid.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy I could help! They really are some of my favorite books. OMG wow thank you so much! It makes me really happy that you enjoy my blog : D You are the loveliest!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  4. Lots of good books for me to try! Great post. :)
    Sally x
    http://asprinkleofsally.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always looking for new books and I absolutely adored the Divergent series - I was seriously addicted! Thank you for your helpful reviews!

    Musings & More


    ReplyDelete