Taking Care Of Youself

Sunday 10 July 2016




I've had a couple of epiphanies this month, which resulted from my quarter-life crisis resurfacing. Aren't those the best? Anyway, after shedding some tears and getting a bit of clarity back, I came to realize that I had stopped focusing on my own well-being and it meant that my mental health was suffering for it. But no more! I decided to come up with the best ways we can take care of ourselves and feel awesome everyday.



Stop comparing yourself to others! 

I don't know why it's so embedded in our behavior to make ourselves miserable with comparison. I think it's just easier to nowadays because of social media. I've found that lately I look at what successful bloggers have done and it makes me think that my current path is wrong. Which is so untrue! Everybody's journey is going to be different, so making comparisons is pointless. It's only robbing me of my happiness, which is not okay. Just take on good advice, but don't get overwhelmed by it. Keep your dreams in sight and just focus on your own path.


Do more of what makes you happy

Making time for the little things that make you smile is one of the best ways you can make everyday great. For me, it's trying new recipes, browsing Pinterest, writing new posts I'm excited about, watching the Sacconejoly family, and getting boxing lessons. Even seeing dogs having the time of their lives on a walk when I'm running always brings a smile to my face. Enjoy the things that make you happy and do them as often as you can. Life should be about having fun, so make the time and let yourself follow what you are passionate about.


Start writing in a journal

 When I struggle to keep my mind together and feel like I have a million thoughts/worries going through my head, the one thing that always helps is getting it onto paper. There's something very therapeutic about scribbling whatever is bothering you and it honestly makes you feel so much lighter afterwards. It's also a great habit to get into that will help stop you from bottling everything up until it becomes too much. Lesson. Learned. Plus, it's an excuse to buy more journals!


Find what makes you confident and rock it!  

Is there a greater feeling than being confident in yourself? Well, there's that first slice of pizza, but regularly looking in the mirror and saying "Damn I look good today!" is up there too. I definitely feel my best when I'm rocking a pair of Nike shorts (they make my butt look great!) or when I'm covered in sweat after smashing a great workout. Whatever makes you feel like the best version of yourself, go and do/wear that as much as you can! It will make you feel amazing and ready to take on the world. 


Appreciate every little quirk you have 

Taking care of yourself starts with acceptance that you deserve it. And you do! None of us are perfect and everybody has little quirks about them that only come out when we get comfortable. With me, I can be a total perfectionist, I get SUPER excited over little things, and I've been known to resort to sarcasm from time to time. But hey, I still believe that these things help make up who I am and I'm not changing them for anyone. Whatever quirks you have, embrace them and accept that you deserve to take care of yourself.


Sorry, I'm allergic to negativity

This is a big one for me, and it's something that I feel like you can be selfish with. We all have those kinds of people in our lives that drain you of your positive vibes with their complaining. Even if you have to share a workplace with someone like this, find ways to either turn their attitude around, or train yourself to stay positive. Walk away if you have to, because it affects your mental health more than you'd think and it's not okay. Live by the Positive Vibes Only mantra and don't allow negativity to come into your life. Your time is far too precious for that. 



Life can get crazy, so take time everyday for a little self-care and see how many goals you can achieve. I've certainly learned my lesson now and I feel better already.


What are some of your favorite self-care tips?
Steph x.

 

8 comments :

  1. Love this Steph and really hope you are feeling better! I have to say all your points are spot on for taking care of yourself. I find that it is so important sometimes to step away from social media too, as though it inspires me so much, sometimes I do the same thing where I see others and then think i'm doing everything wrong. When that happens I often pause and think about how I am me and I have an incredible life with wonderful people in it, I don't want to be anyone else. Also, I love disappearing into a good book to relax and going to the gym and just focusing on squatting, it helps to clear my mind. :) I really love that you talked about all this stuff as I think we so often forget that we are not alone and when we are feeling down it's ok because we all feel a little like that from time to time. If you ever need anything please just let me know!!! :) Ooh and I highly recommend watching anything and everything Zachary Levi in times of need! ;) xxxx

    Lucy x |~ SweetIsAlwaysInStyle || Lifestyle Blog ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks so much Lucy! I'm feeling back to normal now thank goodness. I totally agree, social media can be great but if it makes me doubt myself, it's probably a good idea to step away for a bit. I love that we have the same ways of relaxing! A good book or some squats always do the trick. Thanks for being so sweet! When I was crying at the gym I thought "I wish Lucy and Kelly were here! They would understand." Same goes to you if you ever need anything :) xx.

      Delete
  2. These are really great tips! I love writing in my journal every day :)

    moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's awesome, right? I forgot how great it was to write in a journal.
      Steph x.

      Delete
  3. I second everything Lucy said. Reading this was like listening to mine and Luc's daily conversations back. All these points are so well put and so true! Ditto watching everything Zachary Levi related and while we're at it, we may as well have a bit of Chris Evans in there too! ;)

    Kelly xx
    www.sweetisalwaysinstyles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kelly! I'm so glad you girls can relate and understand :) I have watched a lot of Captain America lately haha Just their cute faces are enough to make me feel better.
      Steph x.

      Delete
  4. Writing in a journal is definitely therapeutic for me! It allows me to unload on whatever is on my mind that day and makes me feel so much better!!
    Kathy x
    www.alongcamekathy.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Journal writing is so great for that. Helps me sleep better too!
      Steph x.

      Delete