Health & Fitness Update: July

Monday 25 July 2016





I have no idea where the days in July went, but I'm back with another update for you! I feel like July was a really great month for my fitness: I've tried new things and really pushed myself through some tough workouts. I'm getting more and more confident at the gym and it's honestly like my second home now. Sadly, at the end of this month my trainer leaves for a 2-3 month holiday oversees, but the other trainers are super-lovely so I know I'll be in good hands until he gets back.



Another Month, Another Injury 

I'm not sure if it's just me, or whether this happens to a lot of people, but it seems like after one injury heals I end up with another. I think it's just life when you're active! 
I was rolling out my lower back after a workout one day, because it's always been tense. Not sure how I managed it, but I must have hit the wrong muscle and now it feels like I've got a really tight knot on my obliques. The next day I was in a lot of pain and on the point of tears, so went to one of trainers and said "Can you please help me? I've hurt my back!" She was lovely and helped me stretch it out. It's so awesome having experts I can run to whenever I hurt myself (which is a lot apparently.)

But don't worry, all that stretching worked and it's feeling a lot better. Always seek professional help if you get hurt at the gym! 


Trying New Supplements 

I recently watched a video on YouTube by Heidi Somers, where she went through all different kinds of supplements that you can take while living an active lifestyle. She was really informative and it made me finally want to try taking BCAA (branched chain amino acid.) It's designed to help you maintain and build muscle mass while you are restricting calories. It's also great for keeping your energy levels up while you workout. I've been trying a brand sold at gym and really enjoy it so far.

The other supplement recommendation that I got from Heidi was fish oil tablets, which she says is one of her favorites. It has so many benefits, like helping your insulin store sugar as energy in your muscles instead of as fat. It's supposed to help with things like anxiety and inflammation too, which are two things I always need help with! Make sure you check out Heidi's video for lots of info and recommendations. She is one smart chick!


Motivation: Holiday! 

Let me tell you, there is no better motivation than having a deadline. I leave for a family holiday in less than a month, so throughout July I have been putting a little extra pressure on myself to work harder than ever. I'm not at my goal body yet, but everyone wants to look great in their vacation pictures, right? I'm focusing on more ab work and getting more muscles toned. And that extra bit of cardio to help with some fat-loss. All my hard work will be worth it later on!


Trying Double Workouts 

This was something that I've been building to for a while and I'm really glad that I've found a way to make it work. One Friday morning I found myself in the gym at 7am for a boxing session because my trainer had no other available times. I was super nervous about it being packed with people, but it wasn't as busy as I thought. I went back later in the day to do my actual workout and found my energy levels were good, so I've been doing it ever since!

I did have to stop for a few days to heal my sore back and because I got hit with a cold, but I was back to it soon enough. I've found I have to drink a lot more water and eat a little more to fuel myself. It's really satisfying to get everything that I want to work on done in my workouts. I think the trainers might get sick of seeing me soon!



Goals for August

For the next month I really want to work harder than ever. I know I say that in every update, but with my holiday coming up, it's super-important! I'm going to make sure I leave time to do an ab workout each day and really push those extra reps on everything else. I will be working out while I'm away, so I need to come up with a couple of programs to take with me too. It's hard getting up at 6am each day, but you gotta hustle if you want results! 


So that's what I've been up to during July. This month has definitely taught me the consequences of making excuses and how it will keep you from your goals. I am not that kind of person anymore and it's a big motivator that gets me out of bed, and straight to the gym in the morning.


How was July for you?
Steph x.



1 comment :

  1. You are kicking ass Steph! Hope your injuries are healing up and you are feeling good! Thank you for the daily motivation! :)Ooh and isn't Heidi awesome? :) xx

    Lucy x |~ SweetIsAlwaysInStyle || Lifestyle Blog ~

    ReplyDelete