Health and Fitness Update - March

Saturday 19 March 2016





I realized recently that I haven't updated you all on where I am with my health and fitness journey. I've been working really hard these past months on sticking with a healthy lifestyle and I absolutely love it! The results are showing as well, slowly mind you, but it's progress. I also had a nutritionist appointment recently and I've lost 9cm off my waist in the past year! Plus my cells are all healthy and I'm putting on muscle. 2016 is definitely going to be the year I turn into Supergirl.

My Fitness Pal App
So I've been trying to lose those last 5-10kgs to help with my toning work and to just feel better about my body. I read about the My Fitness Pal app by Under Armor (one of my favorite brands) and decided to give it a go. I basically set it to losing 0.5kgs a week and got given 7000 KJ to work with everyday. With my eating habits and exercise routine it hasn't been that difficult to stick to and I've only had to cut out a few things in my diet to make a difference. Don't worry, I still eat pizza and have dessert, but I've been using it for a month now and have dropped about 4kgs so far! This app is great and has really opened my eyes to how easy it is to eat more than I need to each day.

Fitness Journal 
I thought it would be a good idea to start keeping track of my fitness throughout the month. I write down my goals/ focus areas for the month, tips from my PT, and what weights I'm using. I'm looking forward to reading it back at the end of the year and seeing how much I've progressed. If I want to plan out my meals for the day, this journal is great for writing it all down so that I stick to it.

Meal Prep
Considering how much I love to be prepared, this should come naturally to me. I want to be clear and say that I don't make up all my meals at the start of each week. I'd get too bored with having the same thing everyday and I like my veges fresh. But I have started a habit of prepping lunch ingredients every Sunday. I usually cook about a cup of quinoa and I roast some kumera (sweet potato) so that I can have them in the fridge and quickly put together a salad bowl for lunch. It really is effective in getting me to have the proper nutrients in my diet everyday.

Gluten Free? 
 I found that once I got used to a healthy eating routine, I ended up cutting out a lot of bread and pasta from my diet and replaced it with things like quinoa and brown rice. My Mum also buys a million different kinds of flour for baking too, which makes life interesting. The problem is that since I don't eat gluten much anymore, now when I eat a piece of cake or some naan bread my stomach goes crazy and I spend an hour in pain. I'm not sure if I actually am gluten-intolerant, but I definitely can't handle the portions I used to.

Boxing  
You may have seen on Twitter that this is my new fitness obsession. It's quite popular at my gym and I was itching to try it myself. I even went out to buy my own gloves (because sharing is pretty gross...) I don't think I will ever get into it professionally, but knowing how to punch might come in handy some day. It's also killing my abs like nothing before! Fun fact: My great-grandfather was a boxer and actually died of a heart attack in the ring. A bit morbid, but how badass is that!? Seriously love my family.

Fitness Schedule
I'm basically active every single day and alternate different areas of my body. Sunday is always my lighter day where I still get outside, but I don't push my body as much. I find I get really tired and don't feel motivated on days where I do nothing. On days where I run, I meet my Mum at our local park, which is great because we always motivate each other and do running events together. Running was the start of my fitness and I've worked too hard to give it up now. It's a constant battle to balance my need to run for my obsession with the gym.

Here's what a typical week looks like: 

Monday - Arm/leg  60min
Tuesday - Arm/Leg  60min
Wednesday - Chest and back 40 min, 8km run (60min)
Thursday - Boxing/Leg 60min
Friday - Arms 40 min, 8km run (60min)
Saturday - Hill walk/run 10km (1 hr 20min)
Sunday - Hill walk/run (60min)

Fitness Goals
I'm really happy with how things are progressing at the moment and I just want to keep building on what I've already achieved. I've become obsessed with lifting, so I'm determined to keep going heavier and building my strength. My boxing lessons are really testing my fitness levels and I'm loving learning how to push through that. My PT knows how to be tough on me and that's exactly what I want. 

Excuse the bad quality, my hands are always shaking after a work out

I seriously cannot wait to see how the rest of the year turns out. I'll be ready for another bikini filled holiday in Hawaii. Although I will miss the gym while I'm away for three weeks. 

What are some of your fitness goals for the year?
Steph x.

12 comments :

  1. That's so great to hear that you progressed so much! You really sound passionate about this and I'm loving it. I wish you the best with your goals in the future! Just don't over work yourself, Steph! :) Also, I'd love to try out boxing, it sure sounds thrilling. x

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Leta! Haha I know, I should probably slow down sometimes. You should! It's not as scary as you think, and it's great for something a little different.
      Steph x.
      marvelsteph.blogspot.co.nz

      Delete
  2. This is wonderful progress for you! If only I had kept up my fitness routine I had set for my self in the beginning of the year! :)

    Kathy
    www.alongcamekathy.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's never too late to try again : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  3. Thats such an amazing progress. I also try to keep my fitness routine good. Very glad to find your blog. I am your new follower on BLoglovin. Would you like to follow me as well :)
    www.ambiinwonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So glad you're enjoying my blog : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  4. You are killing it! I've been to a boxing class once, it's definitely tough!! I can't get myself to hit anybody, but punching all my frustrations out on the sand bag feels great!

    - Anne | annesmiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you like boxing too, I find it such great therapy. Love your blog btw!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  5. I definitely needed to read this. I've been rubbish and working out lately and this definitely convinced me to crack back on with it tomorrow! You are doing so well - keep it up! :) xxx

    Sarah / Sarah Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw so glad I could help! It's hard keeping up motivation, but you can do it!
      Thanks Sarah : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  6. I love reading all your updates girl!!! I am on the same page with you also, my fitness pal, lifting ect but i do really need to get my meal prep sorted! I am just so lazy its unreal haha!!

    Sian | The Tattooed Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Sian! I really wished we lived near each other so we could be gym buddies and lift together. Haha fair enough! I'm getting more into meal prep atm and it's actually making a real difference, plus saving so much time : )
      Steph x.

      Delete